Sunday, September 11, 2011

30-day challenge day 10

my hands smell like medicine. i have been playing nurse for the past few days. it's been touch and go for a while. i have cried a lot. i've lost 1 patient but i am not giving up.

i always cry when my pets die. i treat them like family. i call my pets baby even when they are 6 years old and i talk to them like they are children, trying to tell them not to rummage through the neighbor's trash or the eat shoes and slippers we sometimes leave outside.

we have had a lot of pets throughout the years. My brother used to have this mini-zoo at home.He had pigeons, hamsters and turtles, in addition to the usual cats and dogs. Currently, I have 7 dogs and a cat. The cat, Tammy, has been with us since 2005. He's lazy and always sleepy the way cats are. He would go into your room and bother you while you're sleeping. He loves to be scratched. Mimay, our dog given to my sister allegedly named after her (Hershey Mae) has been with us probably for 4 years. One of Mimay's offspring, Milo, is 3 years old. She is one of the first puppies Mimay ever had. She had survived parasites and mange to which all her other siblings have succumbed to. Mimay gave birth to a new batch this year. 5 puppies: Pretty Girl, Pretty Boy, Rambo, Pow and Hammy. My siblings are creative in giving names.

Three months ago, Hammy died. We found him under the car. Apparently, he hasn't been eating. It must be the parasites again. Then the other dogs lost their appetite. This triggered me to bring everyone else to the vet. We don't really bring dogs to the doctor since my mom believe they're askal they can survive anything, and vets are not easy to find. But I told myself, I'm not going to lose anyone else. I have to do something, at least.

I found the vet via the Internet. Even if it requires a car or a jeepney ride, his clinic is the closest one there is. He dewormed the dogs and gave them antibiotics and appetite stimulants. I just recently realized that it's the same one kids are given when they are sick.

They're supposed to take their medicine 3x a day. It wasn't easy since I sometimes miss my meds when I need them. I had to give the meds in the morning when I get home from work then at noon before I go to sleep and lastly before I go to work at night. I think I have been good taking care of them since they eventually recovered. Every morning when I come home from work, they would run to me, lick my hands or tug at my clothes.

Milo gave birth to six puppies in June. They are very fragile and small. One of them died after a few days. After a week, another one followed. My dad said that Milo doesn't have enough milk so I had to teach them to drink milk from a saucer at three weeks or sometimes I give them milk using a syringe. We only had non-fat or evaporated milk at home but they survived. Four of them became happy healthy puppies. One pup, my dad accidentally run over. So we have 3 left.My sister gave them their names, which I remember but can never refer to the correct puppy. They are all of the same color, just like Milo.

I thought everything was going well with them. Then, the rainy days came. I have been hearing my dogs cough for the past few days. I thought it would go away. Then, I told them to stop bathing under the rain. One of Milo's pups stopped eating on Monday and she was feverish. I can tell by touch. I was worried but can't bring them to the vet since my brother's not home to drive us and I have work on Monday night. I researched about dog fever on the net and gave the pup the remedy. Ice cubes it said, put it on your hand and let the dog lick it. I did that. I also read that you can give your dog aspirin but we didn't have any. When I left for work on Monday night, I just told myself not to worry too much. When I went home on Tuesday, the pup's already eating and I thought she's getting better. On Wednesday night, she refused to eat again. I decided it's time to get her to the vet the following day. She died on Thursday. I cried a lot.

I decided to take her siblings to the vet on that same day. I noticed that her brother wasn't eating as well and have lost weight. The vet said they were feverish. They were given shots and meds. Afer three days, the male pup died. I accepted it and said it was better since he was so weak and it made me cry to have him take his medicine. He was eating very little or not at all. He had that look in his eyes as if begging and he was crying as if begging me to stop the pain.

As of today, there is only one of Milo's pups left. I call her eyeliner because she has black lines around her eyes like Kohl. She's fine now, running around and playing. She also never lost her appetite. We're almost done with the meds ,and I am hoping she'll be all right.

It is so heartbreaking to write this but I did it for the pups and for all the pet lovers out there.

Pavino Veterinary Clinic
Dr Jessie A. Pavino, D.V.M.
Dra Irene R. Manalo, D.V.M.
8 Manuela Ave, Dona Manuela Subd,
Pamplona Las Pinas
tel 028462919
cell 09213413234
Clinic Hours
Mon-Sat 8a-6p
Sun and Holidays 8a-4p

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your losses. They're in a better place now. I have a soft spot for people who like animals.

    ReplyDelete